Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes
“Dark Chocolate. Bacon. What’s not to love? Take yourself on a taste adventure and give these a go. They were a challenge by friends that turned into a great success. “
Prep Time: 15 Min Cook Time: 25 Mins. Ready In: 40 Min
Original Recipe Yield 2 dozen cupcakes
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Stir just until blended. Mix in 3/4 of the bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbles on top. Dust with additional cocoa powder.
THE REVIEWS: We made these beauties ( thanks Kate for the recipe!) last week. We used maple bacon and espresso instead of coffee ~as per advice from allrecipes.ca. Jen took some to work and we took some up the lake with the Milsoms. One review was a spontaneous hug from a twelve year old boy. Husband: “it’s everything I like, all together. I love it”. These were super fantastic and I’d make them again for sure.